Exercise Details for Goblet Squat
Why Should You do Goblet Squat?
Goblet Squat is a perfect complement to the heavier exercises Squats and Front Squat. The exercise works well for home training or on the trip when you only need a lower weight to hold in front of the body. Goblet Squats are also an excellent learning exercise before you start with the heavier Squat exercises. If you are alone in the gym without someone who suits you when you want to do squats, Goblet Squats are a safer alternative.
Stand slightly wider apart than shoulder-width apart with your feet. Your toes should point slightly outwards. Lift the weight and hold it just below your chin and close to your body. If you hold a dumbbell, the palms of your hands should lie under the upper-weight plates. Your elbows should lie close to the side of your body and point downwards. Pull your shoulders back, pinch the shoulder blades together and push your chest forward. Tighten your torso. The weight should be on the middle of your feet, both on the way down and up in the movement. You are now in your starting position.
Begin the downward movement by sitting back and down “between your feet.” Your hip should therefore go a little backward while you bend your knees. Your back should be straight and your chest as upright as possible during the entire movement. You will lean slightly forward as you pull your hips back but try to stay upright. Bend your knees at the same angle outward as your feet. Bend your legs as far as you can, preferably all the way down to the floor with your buttocks.
When your thighs are parallel to the floor even further down, you reverse the movement and push up your body so that your knees are straightened. Your upper body should always be as straight and upright as possible.
Tips for Goblet Squat
- Keep the weight close to the body throughout the exercise
- The centre of gravity of the body should be in the middle of your foot at all times
- Tighten the torso
- Pull back your shoulders and pinch the shoulder blades, pushing your chest forward
- Your chest should be as upright as possible throughout the exercise
- Do not bend your back at all, it should be straight
- Your toes should point slightly outwards
- Bend your knees in the same direction as your toes
- This is a perfect exercise to run at home or on the go