Exercise Details for Power Clean
Why Should You do Power Clean?
This is an explosive exercise with full force and acceleration. Power Clean is a simpler variant of a Clean. Unlike regular Cleans, you should not go down with equally bent legs once you catch the bar. This makes the exercise a little easier to perform, but the disadvantage is that you can not lift as much weight as in a regular Clean.
Stand with the bar straight across the center of your feet and grab the bar with an overhand grip. Bend your legs and make sure your back is straight but a little tilted obliquely upwards. Your buttocks should be higher than your knees, and your chest should be above your buttocks in height. Tighten your torso and look forward, not upwards, since your neck should not be bent.
Pull up the bar at the far end of your narrow legs quickly but not at full speed. When the bar comes up over your knees, you fully accelerate. You do this by pushing your hips forward while using force from your legs and calves to make a small jump and pull your shoulders upwards in a shrug. When the bar comes even higher up, turn your hands up so that the palms of your hands are visible forward, and then catch the bar at shoulder height with slightly bent legs. Stretch your legs and stand steady for a few seconds in this position before releasing the bar back down to the floor. The exercise is about force upwards; you do not have to tense the muscles when lowering the bar; just drop it.
Tips for Power Clean
- Leave the bar equally straight over your feet
- The centre of gravity should be on the middle part of the foot, not on the toes
- Grap the bar wider than shoulder-width, your knees should be narrower than the grip
- Your buttocks should be higher than your knees and your upper body should be above your buttocks in height
- The back should be straight
- Look ahead without, straight neck
- Make sure to get a lot of pressure in the torso, while having great stability
- Push the hip forward so that it strikes the bar on the way up
- Make a small jump straight up when you turn the bar upside down
- As mentioned in the title, the exercise is called Power Clean if you want to find more information